Project Title: Nurse Education and Mathematics Competency: A Research Study Analyzing the Mathematics Preparation Experience of Undergraduate Nursing Students at an Ontario University, Project Leader (2019-21)
Project Title: Exploring Teacher Candidate Perceptions of Francophone Home-Stay Community Learning Experiences (2019-21)
Project Collaborator: Dr. Callie Mady, Nipissing U
Project Title: Computer Algebra Systems (CAS) Technology in Undergraduate Mathematics Instruction: Tracking the Implementation of a Technology-Enhanced Curriculum and Assessment Initiative, Project Leader (2014-16)
Project Title: Assessing the Use and Usefulness of a Spatial Decision Support Tool: The Case of GeoVisage (2014-16)
Project Title: The Numerate and Critical Thinking Nurse: A Comparison of Final Year Nursing Students’ and Practicing Nurses’ Perceptions of Workplace Mathematics and Technology Demands, Project Leader (2012-14)
Research Achievement Award Recipient (2010-11), Nipissing University
Applications of Computer Algebra (ACA) 2019 Conference (July 2019) Innovative CAS Technology Use in University Mathematics Teaching andAssessment: Findings from a Case Study in Alberta, Canada. Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
21st Annual International Conference on Education (May 2018) Education for Innovation (E4I): A Canadian initiative promoting innovation in K-12 Schools. Athens, Greece.
OAME Annual Conference Presentation (May 2018) Grade 8 to 9 transitions: Exploring pathways, resources, and effective support strategies. Humber College, Toronto, Ontario.
Fields Institute for Research in Mathematical Sciences Workshop Host and Speaker (March 20, 2018) Multiplying strategies for the divide: Adding to our transition takeaways. Crossing the Divide: Exploring Critical Transition Issues from Grade 8 to 9 Mathematics. Fields Institute, Toronto, ON.
Fields Institute for Research in Mathematical Sciences Math Education Forum Guest Speaker (March 25, 2017) Teaching and learning between the lines. MathEd Forum Theme: Mathematics and the Arts. Fields Institute, Toronto, ON.
Northern Health Research Conference Presentation (June 2013) The numerate and critical thinking nurse: A comparison of final year nursing students’ and practicing nurses’ perceptions of workplace mathematics and technology demands. Paper presented (with Barbi Law, Karey McCullough) at the Northern Health/NBRHC Research Conference. Canadore College, North Bay, ON.
OAME Annual Conference Presentation (May 2013) RE4MUL8: Exploring an online/mobile resource for Grade 7-8 teachers of mathematics. Seneca College, Toronto, Ontario.
Great Moon Gathering Conference Workshops (February 2013) Great Moon journey: Exploring lunar phases with math, science, technology, and art; and, RE4MUL8: Effective problem-based learning in the elementary classroom. Northern College, Moosonee, Ontario.
Imagination and Creativity in Educ Conference Presentation (November 2012) Exploring the math and art connection: Teaching and learning between the lines. Nipissing University, North Bay, Ontario.
“Stand Up, Stand Out” Professional Week 2012 (October 2012) Exploring Your Graduate Study Options (MEd/PhD) in the Schulich School of Education. Nipissing University, North Bay, ON.
“Stand Up, Stand Out” Professional Week 2012 (October 2012) RE4MUL8: Supporting Grade 7-8 teachers of mathematics with an online/mobile resource. Nipissing University, North Bay, ON.
12th International Congress on Mathematical Education (ICME-12) (July 2012) Computer Algebra System (CAS) usage and sustainability in university mathematics instruction: Findings from an international study. Paper presented (with Z. Lavicza, C. Buteau) as part of Topic Study Group 18: Analysis of Uses of Technology in the Teaching of Mathematics. Seoul, Korea.
CSSE 40th Annual Conference Panel Session (May 2012) Transitions in schooling and instructional practice: Explorations and perspectives (with D. Buzza, S. E. Elliott-Johns, R. Graham, D. H. Jarvis, C. Mady, J. Rowsell). Wilfrid Laurier/University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON.
Colloque de L’Espace Mathématique Francophone (EMF) : Enseignement des mathématiques et contrat social : enjeux et défis pour le 21e siècle (Projet Speciale # 3: Comparaisons de l’enseignement des mathématiques à travers les pays francophones : résultats, sens et usages) (February 2012) L’enseignement des mathématiques en français au Canada anglais: Cas de l’Ontario et aperçu des autres provinces et territoires. Université de Genève, La Suisse.
- Educational Research Texts
- Action Research Texts
- Arts-Based Research Texts
- Mixed Methods Research Texts
- Qualitative Research Texts
- Quantitative Research Texts & Resources
- Online Literature Database Resources
- Software & Technology Resources
- Other Online Research Resources
- Current Research Projects
- Completed Research Projects (Selected)
- Conference and Lecture Participation (Selected)
American Psychological Association. (2020). Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (7th ed.).Author.
Cohen, L., Manion, L., & Morrison, K. (2000). Research methods in education (5th ed.). RoutledgeFalmer.
Creswell, J. W. (2003). Research design: Qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods approaches (2nd ed.). Sage.
Creswell, J. W. (2014). Educational research: Planning, conducting, and evaluating quantitative and qualitative research (5th ed.). Pearson.
Gall, M. D., Gall, J. P., & Borg, W. R. (2010). Applying educational research (6th ed.). Pearson.
Johnson, B., & Christensen, L. (2013). Educational research: Quantitative, qualitative, and mixed approaches (5th ed.). Sage.
Lochmiller, C. R., & Lester, J. N. (2017). An introduction to educational research–Connecting methods to practice. Sage.
McMillan, J. H., & Schumacher, S. (2010). Research in education: Evidence-based inquiry (7th ed.). Pearson.
Petre, M., & Rugg, G. (2010). The unwritten rules of PhD research (2nd ed.). Open University Press.
Phillips, E. M., & Pugh, D. S. (2010). How to get a PhD: A handbook for students and their supervisors (5th ed.). Open University Press.
Tanggaard, L., & Wegener, C. (2016). A survival kit for doctoral students and their supervisors. Sage.
Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario. (2016). Learning through teacher research: A guidebook for your action research journey. Author.
Franks, D., Jarvis, D. H., & Wideman, R. (Eds.). (2011). Special Issues (2) for Teachers Learning Together: Collaborative Action Research (ETFO/CODE, 2007-2010), Canadian Journal of Action Research, 12(2-3).
McNiff, J., & Whitehead, J. (2006). All you need to know about action research. Sage.
Mills, G. E. (2000). Action research: A guide for the teacher researcher. Merrill.
DeLong, J., McNiff, J., & Wideman, R. (1998). Action research: School improvement through research-based professionalism [Book/Video Kit]. Ontario Public School Teachers’ Federation.
Barone, T., & Eisner, E. W. (2012). Arts based research. Sage.
Cahnmann-Taylor, M., Siegesmund, R. (Eds.). (2008). Arts-based research in education: Foundations for practice. Routledge.
Knowles, J. G., & Cole, A. L. (2008). Handbook of the arts in qualitative research: Perspectives, methodologies, examples, and issues. Sage.
Leavy, P. (2008). Method meets art: Arts-based research practice. Guilford.
Greene, J. C., & Caracelli, V. J. (1997). Advances in mixed-method evaluation: The challenges and benefits of integrating diverse paradigms. Jossey-Bass.
Heyvaert, M., Hannes, K., & Onghena, P. (2016). Using mixed methods research synthesis for literature reviews. Sage.
Newman, I., & Benz, C. R. (1998). Qualitative-quantitative research methodology: Exploring the interactive continuum. Southern Illinois University Press.
Tashakkori, A., & Teddlie, C. (1998). Mixed methodology: Combining qualitative and quantitative approaches. Sage.
Berg, B. L. (2004). Qualitative research methods for the social sciences (5th ed.). Pearson, Allyn and Bacon.
Creswell, J. (2013). Qualitative inquiry and research design: Choosing among five approaches (3rd ed.). Sage.
Dale Bloomberg, L., & Volpe, M. (2016). Completing your qualitative dissertation: A roadmap from beginning to end (3rd ed.). Sage.
Denzin, N. K., & Lincoln, Y. S. (2000). The Sage handbook of qualitative research (2nd ed.). Sage.
Drozdova, K., & Gaubatz, K. T. (2016). Quantifying the qualitative: Information theory for comparative case analysis. Sage.
Gibson, W., & Brown, A. (2009).Working with qualitative data. Sage.
Glesne, C. (2006). Becoming qualitative researchers: An introduction (3rd ed.). Pearson.
Lewins, A., & Silver, C. (2007). Using software in qualitative research: A step-by-step guide. Sage.
Merriam, S. B. (1998). Qualitative research and case study applications in education. Jossey-Bass.
Miles, M. B., & Huberman, A. M. (1994). Qualitative data analysis: A sourcebook of new methods (2nd ed.). Sage.
Patton, M. Q. (2002). Qualitative research and evaluation methods (3rd ed.). Sage.
Schwandt, T. A. (2001). Dictionary of qualitative inquiry (2nd ed.). Sage.
Stake, R. (1995). The art of case study research. Sage.
Strauss, A., & Corbin, J. (1998). Basics of qualitative research: Techniques and procedures for developing Grounded Theory (2nd ed.). Sage.
Yin, R. (2008). Case study research: Design and methods (4th ed.). Sage.
Berry, J. (2005). Quantitative methods in educational research.
Black, T. R. (1999). Doing quantitative research in the social sciences: An integrated approach to research design, measurement and statistics. Sage.
Field, A. (2009). Discovering statistics using SPSS (3rd ed.). Sage.
George, D., & Mallery, P. (2010). SPSS for Windows step by step: A simple guide and reference (10th ed.). Pearson.
Griffith, A. (2010). SPSS for dummies. Wiley.
Huck, S. W. (2012). Reading statistics and research (6th ed.). Pearson.
Levin, L., & Fox, J. A. (2011). Elementary statistics in social research: The essentials (3rd ed.). Pearson.
Pallant, J. (2010). SPSS survival manual: A step by step guide to data analysis using the SPSS program (4th ed.). Open University Press.
Sweet, S. A., & Grace-Martin, K. (2008). Data analysis with SPSS: A first course in applied statistics (3rd ed.). Pearson.
Vogt, P. W. (2007). Quantitative research methods for professionals. Pearson.
- Canadian Business & Current Affairs: Education (NU Online Library > E-Resources > Education)
- Education Research Complete (NU Online Library > E-Resources > Education)
- Education Resources Information Center (ERIC) (NU Online Library > E-Resources > Education)
- Google Scholar (NU Online Library > E-Resources > alphabetic search “G” > Google Scholar)
- ProQuest Dissertations & Theses (NU Online Library > E-Resources > ProQuest Dissertations & Theses)
- Margaret Wilson Online Library (OCT Licenced Teachers)
- Theses Canada Portal (NU Online Library > E-Resources > Dissertations & Theses)
- Adobe Acrobat Connect Pro (Online Research Collaboration Tool)
- APA 6 Style Guide (2010)
- Amos (Structural Equation Modelling)
- Apple iMovie, iDVD, & Final Cut Pro X (Video Editing)
- Atlas.ti (Qualitative Data Analysis)
- Atlas.ti for Mac or Windows (free trial download)
- Audacity (Sound Editing Software)
- Digital Measures (Strategic Tools for Higher Education)
- Doodle Scheduling
- Dragon Dictate for Mac (Transcription Software)
- Dropbox (File Sharing)
- Easy Chair Conference System (Hosting/Planning)
- EndNote Referencing Software (Clarivate)
- Express Scribe (Transcription Software, NCH)
- Fathom Dynamic Data Software (Concord Consortium, Quantitative Data Analysis)
- FreeConference (Conferencing/Communication)
- G*Power 3 (Buchner, Faul, & Erdfelder) (General Power AnalysisTool)
- Google Translate | Google Reader | Google Drive
- GoToMeeting (Conferencing/Communication)
- Hosted in Canada Surveys (data on Canadian servers)
- HyperTranscribe & HyperResearch (Qualitative Data Analysis)
- International Country Calling Codes
- Jing (free), Snagit, & Camtasia (Screencapture & Screencasts by TechSmith)
- Lime Survey (data on Canadian servers)
- MAXQDA (Qualitative Data Analysis)
- Mendeley (Reference Manager & Social Networking Tool)
- Moodle (Open-source Course Management System)
- NVivo (QSR International; Qualitative Data Analysis)
- Oanda (Historical Currency Converter)
- Online Stopwatch/Timer
- QDA Miner (Qualitative Data Analysis)
- Qualtrics (Online Surveys)
- QuestionPro (Online Surveys)
- “R” Project for Statistical Computing (Quantitative Data Analysis)
- RefWorks Referencing Software
- ScreenFlow (Screencasting Studio for Mac)
- Skype (Conferencing/Communication)
- SAS Statistical Analysis System (Quantitative Data Analysis)
- Slack (Corporate/Group Communications)
- SlideShare (Slideshow Sharing)
- Sona Systems: Cloud-Based Participant Management Software
- Stata: Data Analysis and Statistical Software
- Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (IBM SPSS) (Quantitative Data Analysis)
- NU Faculty/Student SPSS Software Download Form
- Statnotes: Topics in Multivariate Analysis (Garson)
- Survey Console (Online Survey Software)
- SurveyMonkey (Free Online Survey Software)
- TinkerPlots (UMass, Quantitative Data Analysis)
- Transana (Qualitative Data Analysis)
- WebEx (Online Research Collaboration Tool)
- Zoom (Free Video Conferencing)
- Zotero Referencing Software
- Canada Research Portal (Tri-Council Applications/Feedback)
- Canadian Committee of Graduate Students in Education (CCGSE)
- Canadian Research Data Centre Network (CRDCN) Toronto > Nipissing Branch
- Chicago Manual of Style
- Nipissing University Research
- Online Writing Lab (OWL @ Purdue University)
- Priceline (Discount Travel Booking)
- Research in Education (OME)
- ResearchGATE (International Scientific Research Community)
- Serial Comma (aka Oxford Comma) Usage (Wikipedia)
- TimeandDate (World Time Zones)
- Top Hat (Classroom Engagement Tools)
- XE (Universal Currency Converter)