Project Title: Nurse Education and Mathematics Competency: A Research Study Analyzing the Mathematics Preparation Experience of Undergraduate Nursing Students at an Ontario University, Project Leader (2019-21)
Project Title: Exploring Teacher Candidate Perceptions of Francophone Home-Stay Community Learning Experiences (2019-21)
Project Title: Computer Algebra Systems (CAS) Technology in Undergraduate Mathematics Instruction: Tracking the Implementation of a Technology-Enhanced Curriculum and Assessment Initiative, Project Leader (2014-16)
Project Title: Assessing the Use and Usefulness of a Spatial Decision Support Tool: The Case of GeoVisage (2014-16)
Project Title: The Numerate and Critical Thinking Nurse: A Comparison of Final Year Nursing Students’ and Practicing Nurses’ Perceptions of Workplace Mathematics and Technology Demands, Project Leader (2012-14)
Research Achievement Award Recipient (2010-11), Nipissing University
Applications of Computer Algebra (ACA) 2019 Conference (July 2019) Innovative CAS Technology Use in University Mathematics Teaching andAssessment: Findings from a Case Study in Alberta, Canada. Montreal, Quebec, Canada. [JARVIS PRES (2019 07 20)]
21st Annual International Conference on Education (May 2018) Education for Innovation (E4I): A Canadian initiative promoting innovation in K-12 Schools. Athens, Greece.
OAME Annual Conference Presentation (May 2018) Grade 8 to 9 transitions: Exploring pathways, resources, and effective support strategies. Humber College, Toronto, Ontario.
Fields Institute for Research in Mathematical Sciences Workshop Host and Speaker (March 20, 2018) Multiplying strategies for the divide: Adding to our transition takeaways. Crossing the Divide: Exploring Critical Transition Issues from Grade 8 to 9 Mathematics. Fields Institute, Toronto, ON.
Fields Institute for Research in Mathematical Sciences Math Education Forum Guest Speaker (March 25, 2017) Teaching and learning between the lines. MathEd Forum Theme: Mathematics and the Arts. Fields Institute, Toronto, ON.
Northern Health Research Conference Presentation (June 2013) The numerate and critical thinking nurse: A comparison of final year nursing students’ and practicing nurses’ perceptions of workplace mathematics and technology demands. Paper presented (with Barbi Law, Karey McCullough) at the Northern Health/NBRHC Research Conference. Canadore College, North Bay, ON.
OAME Annual Conference Presentation (May 2013) RE4MUL8: Exploring an online/mobile resource for Grade 7-8 teachers of mathematics. Seneca College, Toronto, Ontario.
Great Moon Gathering Conference Workshops (February 2013) Great Moon journey: Exploring lunar phases with math, science, technology, and art; and, RE4MUL8: Effective problem-based learning in the elementary classroom. Northern College, Moosonee, Ontario.
Imagination and Creativity in Educ Conference Presentation (November 2012) Exploring the math and art connection: Teaching and learning between the lines. Nipissing University, North Bay, Ontario.
“Stand Up, Stand Out” Professional Week 2012 (October 2012) Exploring Your Graduate Study Options (MEd/PhD) in the Schulich School of Education. Nipissing University, North Bay, ON.
“Stand Up, Stand Out” Professional Week 2012 (October 2012) RE4MUL8: Supporting Grade 7-8 teachers of mathematics with an online/mobile resource. Nipissing University, North Bay, ON.
12th International Congress on Mathematical Education (ICME-12) (July 2012) Computer Algebra System (CAS) usage and sustainability in university mathematics instruction: Findings from an international study. Paper presented (with Z. Lavicza, C. Buteau) as part of Topic Study Group 18: Analysis of Uses of Technology in the Teaching of Mathematics. Seoul, Korea.
CSSE 40th Annual Conference Panel Session (May 2012) Transitions in schooling and instructional practice: Explorations and perspectives (with D. Buzza, S. E. Elliott-Johns, R. Graham, D. H. Jarvis, C. Mady, J. Rowsell). Wilfrid Laurier/University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON.
Colloque de L’Espace Mathématique Francophone (EMF) : Enseignement des mathématiques et contrat social : enjeux et défis pour le 21e siècle (Projet Speciale # 3: Comparaisons de l’enseignement des mathématiques à travers les pays francophones : résultats, sens et usages) (February 2012) L’enseignement des mathématiques en français au Canada anglais: Cas de l’Ontario et aperçu des autres provinces et territoires. Université de Genève, La Suisse.
- Educational Research Texts
- Action Research Texts
- Arts-Based Research Texts
- Mixed Methods Research Texts
- Qualitative Research Texts
- Quantitative Research Texts & Resources
- Online Literature Database Resources
- Software & Technology Resources
- Other Online Research Resources
- Current Research Projects
- Completed Research Projects (Selected)
- Conference and Lecture Participation (Selected)
American Psychological Association. (2020). Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (7th ed.).Washington, DC: Author.
Cohen, L., Manion, L., & Morrison, K. (2000). Research methods in education (5th ed.). London, UK: RoutledgeFalmer.
Creswell, J. W. (2003). Research design: Qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods approaches (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Creswell, J. W. (2014). Educational research: Planning, conducting, and evaluating quantitative and qualitative research (5th ed.). New York, NY: Pearson.
Gall, M. D., Gall, J. P., & Borg, W. R. (2010). Applying educational research (6th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson.
Johnson, B., & Christensen, L. (2013). Educational research: Quantitative, qualitative, and mixed approaches (5th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Lochmiller, C. R., & Lester, J. N. (2017). An introduction to educational research–Connecting methods to practice. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
McMillan, J. H., & Schumacher, S. (2010). Research in education: Evidence-based inquiry (7th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson.
Petre, M., & Rugg, G. (2010). The unwritten rules of PhD research (2nd ed.). Bershire, UK: Open University Press.
Phillips, E. M., & Pugh, D. S. (2010). How to get a PhD: A handbook for students and their supervisors (5th ed.). Bershire, UK: Open University Press.
Tanggaard, L., & Wegener, C. (2016). A survival kit for doctoral students and their supervisors. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario. (2016). Learning through teacher research: A guidebook for your action research journey. Toronto, ON: Author.
Franks, D., Jarvis, D. H., & Wideman, R. (Eds.). (2011). Special Issues (2) for Teachers Learning Together: Collaborative Action Research (ETFO/CODE, 2007-2010), Canadian Journal of Action Research, 12(2-3).
McNiff, J., & Whitehead, J. (2006). All you need to know about action research. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Mills, G. E. (2000). Action research: A guide for the teacher researcher. Columbus, OH: Merrill.
DeLong, J., McNiff, J., & Wideman, R. (1998). Action research: School improvement through research-based professionalism [Book/Video Kit]. Toronto, ON: Ontario Public School Teachers’ Federation.
Barone, T., & Eisner, E. W. (2012). Arts based research. London, UK: Sage.
Cahnmann-Taylor, M., Siegesmund, R. (Eds.). (2008). Arts-based research in education: Foundations for practice. New York, NY: Routledge.
Knowles, J. G., & Cole, A. L. (2008). Handbook of the arts in qualitative research: Perspectives, methodologies, examples, and issues. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Leavy, P. (2008). Method meets art: Arts-based research practice. New York, NY: Guilford.
Greene, J. C., & Caracelli, V. J. (1997). Advances in mixed-method evaluation: The challenges and benefits of integrating diverse paradigms. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
Heyvaert, M., Hannes, K., & Onghena, P. (2016). Using mixed methods research synthesis for literature reviews. New York, NY: Sage.
Newman, I., & Benz, C. R. (1998). Qualitative-quantitative research methodology: Exploring the interactive continuum. Edwardsville, IL: Southern Illinois University Press.
Tashakkori, A., & Teddlie, C. (1998). Mixed methodology: Combining qualitative and quantitative approaches. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Berg, B. L. (2004). Qualitative research methods for the social sciences (5th ed.). New York, NY: Pearson, Allyn and Bacon.
Creswell, J. (2013). Qualitative inquiry and research design: Choosing among five approaches (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Dale Bloomberg, L., & Volpe, M. (2016). Completing your qualitative dissertation: A roadmap from beginning to end (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, Sage.
Denzin, N. K., & Lincoln, Y. S. (2000). The Sage handbook of qualitative research (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Drozdova, K., & Gaubatz, K. T. (2016). Quantifying the qualitative: Information theory for comparative case analysis.Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Gibson, W., & Brown, A. (2009).Working with qualitative data. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Glesne, C. (2006). Becoming qualitative researchers: An introduction (3rd ed.). Toronto, ON: Pearson.
Lewins, A., & Silver, C. (2007). Using software in qualitative research: A step-by-step guide. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Merriam, S. B. (1998). Qualitative research and case study applications in education. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
Miles, M. B., & Huberman, A. M. (1994). Qualitative data analysis: A sourcebook of new methods (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Patton, M. Q. (2002). Qualitative research and evaluation methods (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Schwandt, T. A. (2001). Dictionary of qualitative inquiry (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Stake, R. (1995). The art of case study research. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Strauss, A., & Corbin, J. (1998). Basics of qualitative research: Techniques and procedures for developing Grounded Theory (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Yin, R. (2008). Case study research: Design and methods (4th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Berry, J. (2005). Quantitative methods in educational research.
Black, T. R. (1999). Doing quantitative research in the social sciences: An integrated approach to research design, measurement and statistics. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Field, A. (2009). Discovering statistics using SPSS (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
George, D., & Mallery, P. (2010). SPSS for Windows step by step: A simple guide and reference (10th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson.
Griffith, A. (2010). SPSS for dummies. Indianapolis, IL: Wiley.
Huck, S. W. (2012). Reading statistics and research (6th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson.
Levin, L., & Fox, J. A. (2011). Elementary statistics in social research: The essentials (3rd ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson.
Pallant, J. (2010). SPSS survival manual: A step by step guide to data analysis using the SPSS program (4th ed.). Berkshire, UK: Open University Press.
Sweet, S. A., & Grace-Martin, K. (2008). Data analysis with SPSS: A first course in applied statistics (3rd ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson.
Vogt, P. W. (2007). Quantitative research methods for professionals. New York, NY: Pearson.
- Canadian Business & Current Affairs: Education (NU Online Library > E-Resources > Education)
- Education Research Complete (NU Online Library > E-Resources > Education)
- Education Resources Information Center (ERIC) (NU Online Library > E-Resources > Education)
- Google Scholar (NU Online Library > E-Resources > alphabetic search “G” > Google Scholar)
- ProQuest Dissertations & Theses (NU Online Library > E-Resources > ProQuest Dissertations & Theses)
- Margaret Wilson Online Library (OCT Licenced Teachers)
- Theses Canada Portal (NU Online Library > E-Resources > Dissertations & Theses)
- Adobe Acrobat Connect Pro (Online Research Collaboration Tool)
- APA 6 Style Guide (2010)
- Amos (Structural Equation Modelling)
- Apple iMovie, iDVD, & Final Cut Pro X (Video Editing)
- Atlas.ti (Qualitative Data Analysis)
- Atlas.ti for Mac or Windows (free trial download)
- Audacity (Sound Editing Software)
- Digital Measures (Strategic Tools for Higher Education)
- Doodle Scheduling
- Dragon Dictate for Mac (Transcription Software)
- Dropbox (File Sharing)
- Easy Chair Conference System (Hosting/Planning)
- EndNote Referencing Software (Clarivate)
- Express Scribe (Transcription Software, NCH)
- Fathom Dynamic Data Software (Concord Consortium, Quantitative Data Analysis)
- FreeConference (Conferencing/Communication)
- G*Power 3 (Buchner, Faul, & Erdfelder) (General Power AnalysisTool)
- Google Translate | Google Reader | Google Drive
- GoToMeeting (Conferencing/Communication)
- Hosted in Canada Surveys (data on Canadian servers)
- HyperTranscribe & HyperResearch (Qualitative Data Analysis)
- International Country Calling Codes
- Jing (free), Snagit, & Camtasia (Screencapture & Screencasts by TechSmith)
- Lime Survey (data on Canadian servers)
- MAXQDA (Qualitative Data Analysis)
- Mendeley (Reference Manager & Social Networking Tool)
- Moodle (Open-source Course Management System)
- NVivo (QSR International; Qualitative Data Analysis)
- Oanda (Historical Currency Converter)
- Online Stopwatch/Timer
- QDA Miner (Qualitative Data Analysis)
- Qualtrics (Online Surveys)
- QuestionPro (Online Surveys)
- “R” Project for Statistical Computing (Quantitative Data Analysis)
- RefWorks Referencing Software
- ScreenFlow (Screencasting Studio for Mac)
- Skype (Conferencing/Communication)
- SAS Statistical Analysis System (Quantitative Data Analysis)
- SlideShare (Slideshow Sharing)
- Sona Systems: Cloud-Based Participant Management Software
- Stata: Data Analysis and Statistical Software
- Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (IBM SPSS) (Quantitative Data Analysis)
- NU Faculty/Student SPSS Software Download Form
- Statnotes: Topics in Multivariate Analysis (Garson)
- Survey Console (Online Survey Software)
- SurveyMonkey (Free Online Survey Software)
- TinkerPlots (UMass, Quantitative Data Analysis)
- Transana (Qualitative Data Analysis)
- WebEx (Online Research Collaboration Tool)
- Zoom (Free Video Conferencing)
- Zotero Referencing Software
- Canada Research Portal (Tri-Council Applications/Feedback)
- Canadian Committee of Graduate Students in Education (CCGSE)
- Canadian Research Data Centre Network (CRDCN) Toronto > Nipissing Branch
- Chicago Manual of Style
- Nipissing University Research
- Online Writing Lab (OWL @ Purdue University)
- Priceline (Discount Travel Booking)
- Research in Education (OME)
- ResearchGATE (International Scientific Research Community)
- Serial Comma (aka Oxford Comma) Usage (Wikipedia)
- TimeandDate (World Time Zones)
- Top Hat (Classroom Engagement Tools)
- XE (Universal Currency Converter)