Category Archives: Community History

Quintland Landscape 2013

There are only a few signs of Quintland left in the landscape today [Nov. 2012]. The fence is still there, the nursery and a guardhouse. One of the souvenir shops is now a private home.

Nipissing University acquires Monastery Property

On 1 September 2006, Nipissing University acquired its first new property at the North Bay campus, the former Sisters of the Precious Blood monastery which is located just below the campus on the old Gormanville Road. Most of the evidence of its use as a monastery were already gone, but I decided to document the property as it looked that day for anyone later interested in making the comparison between the original property and the renovations and changes made later. Hopefully the beautiful surroundings and pond shown here will stay. The interior is of course already considerably modified.

World War II Interview Clips

What was it like to be a student just finishing high school and having to decide whether or not to go to war? These clips give us an idea of what it was like for ordinary students in North Bay to face this kind of choice.

Lois Douglas

Douglas – War (Flash)

Dinty Elliott
Elliott – going West before war (Flash)
Mary Leppan

Leppan – teach and travel war (Flash)

Eddy Sarlo
Sarlo – 4F War (Flash)
Ruth Taylor
Taylor – first fired after war ONR (Flash)

Old Home Week Souvenir Books 1925 and 1935

The 1925 Souvenir Book

7_SouvenirBook1925Old Home Week souvenir books were just that — a souvenir of the event. They provided information about the event and its organization, advertising, and pictures and stories about the place being celebrated. The cover of North Bay’s 1925 souvenir book shows Samuel de Champlain overlooking Lake Nipissing. The fact that Champlain spent the night near North Bay in 1615 is emphasized in the history of North Bay as presented in the souvenir book. Running to 120 pages, the book is a reflection of the prosperity of the period. It included a full list of the Old Home Week committee members, the program for each of the seven days, photographs, advertisements and short historical articles. Overall they present a very positive image of North Bay’s history, growth and progress, which is to be expected.
Information from the 1925 souvenir book has found its way into other sources about North Bay. Kennedy, for example, repeats many of its stories in his history of North Bay. The Trout Mills Women’s Institute also made use of it when putting together their history of Trout Mills. As one of the few sources of the history of the early days, it retains its appeal, but most of the stories cannot be verified. It seems to have played a role in establishing John Ferguson’s role as the founder of North Bay. A list and summary of articles can be found here: Souvenir Book 1925 List Articles.

The 1935 Souvenir Book

7_SouvenirBook1935coverThe cover of the English 1935 souvenir book consisted of of an embellished city crest to which was added “North Bay Old Home Week”, with its dates and words from Auld Lang Syne. The lower banner was also changed to read “Gateway to the Land of Gold.” The cover was the winning design submitted in a contest limited to school children under sixteen years of age.
The souvenir book for 1935 was smaller and shorter than that in 1925, reflecting the greater concern for cost. Although it provides pictures of North Bay and a history of its schools and churches, it is not as rich in detail as the 1925 book. It does, however, provide considerable information on the Dionne quintuplets and provides considerable detail on the very recent history of their lives to date along with photos. Souvenir Book 1935 List of Articles

The French Canadian Day Souvenir Book 1935

7_FrenchSouvenirThis French souvenir book is easy to miss. OHW has been translated to “Ré-Union des Anciens”. This book was issued in French for French Canadian Day by its organizers. It included a full list of the executive of the two clubs sponsoring French-Canadian day, the members of the organizing committee, and a brief history of Le Cercle Canadien-Français de North Bay. Only some of the parishes which participated provided photographs, histories of their parish, and advertisements for the souvenir book: Sainte-Anne de Sudbury, Saint Thomas de Warren, Saint Jean-Baptiste de Verner, Sacré-Coeur de Sturgeon Falls, Saint David de Noelville, Notre-Dame du Lac de Lavigne, Saint-Joseph de Chelmsford, and Saint Vincent de Paul de North Bay. Ads were from businesses owned or managed by members of the French community or at least friendly to it. Lefebvre’s Sport and Tobacco Shop in North Bay, for example, is identified as the location where one can procure French newspapers. The emphasis is quite different than in the English souvenir book. There is no article on the Quints, for example, although one ad does mention its location in relationship to them. French-Canadian Day appears to have been a self-contained ethnic festival within Old Home Week.


French-Canadian Heroes Honored at North Bay. The Globe, Toronto, Thursday, August 8, 1935. First Page.

[Transcribed by F. Noël.]

French-Canadian Heroes Honored at North Bay.

Commemoration Parade Features Opening Day of Old Home Week – City Is Crowded With Visitors

North Bay, Aug. 7 (CP).

It is Old Home Week in North Bay, and hundreds of out-of-town visitors are here to help the natives celebrate.
Parades, ball games, fireworks and sports programs were arranged for the week.
Today the city turned out to watch a parade commemorating the deeds of the great French-Canadian heroes. A monument to Jacques Cartier, erected through the co- operation of the French-Canadian men and women of the district, was unveiled.
Escorted by police, the procession was headed by the Sacred Heart College Band of Sudbury, followed by automobiles containing clergy of the city and district and Mayor W.G. Bullbrook and D. Barker, Chairman of the Old Home Week Committee.
The North Bay float depicted the scene on the arrival of Jacques Cartier in Canada. District Indians joined in the parade, lending color to the celebration with their native costumes.
Sturgeon Falls representatives entered the parade with a float portraying Champlain paddling across Lake Nipissing. A descendent of the famous explorer Samuel de Champlain was in the float.
Canadian martyrs were commemorated in a float picturing the slaying of a missionary by Indians.
The life of Louis Hebert was displayed in a colonial setting.
Verner, Ont., French-Canadian residents chose Evangeline as a subject of interprentation and the float was one of the most impressive in the parade.
Noelville, Ont., drew praise for a float portraying the painting “The Angelus.”
Another tribute to the adventures of Jacques Cartier was shown in a float from Warren, Ont., depicting a party of explorers with their canoe and packs. Twenty-one members of the Turgeon family, on a float, represented Astorville.
The program began Sunday and Monday with the first reunion of the 159th Battalion, when more than 400 members of the Northern Ontario unit came together for the first time in twenty years.
Chief among the district’s attractions were the Dionne quintuplets at Callander, eight miles south of North Bay, where thousands of visitors gather four times a day to catch a glimpse of the famous babies.


“228th Battalion Was Model Fighting Unit,” The Nugget, 4 August, 1925, p. 2.

[Transcribed with permission by F. Noël.]

228th Battalion Was Model Fighting Unit

Three Years on Active Service to Credit of Northmen.

Any special day of remembrance of the Great War must have for citizens of North Bay and vicinity proud yet bitter memories of its own battalion, the 228th, which left North Bay in the early days of 1916 and returned in 1919 with three years of distinguished war service ito its credit. So today when the returned men and citizens in general pay tribute to the fallen heros of the Great War there are recalled stories of the heorois, the sacrifice and the loyalty of the “men of the North.” Some retunred and some lie in foreign fields.
Organization of the 228th was authorized on the first of March, 1916 and recruiting of the unit was commenced about the middle of the month. Three months later the 228th left North Bay 950 men strong for training at Camp Borden. Ninety per cent of the men and officers of the battalion came from North Bay, and places along the T.&N.O. and from as far north as Moose Factory and James Bay. The recruiting officers had among their new soldiers 18 Indians from Moose Factory, who had never before seen any modern methods of transportation beyond their dog teams. When the battalion was later changed to a railway troop these Indian soldiers were among the battalion’s most valued members.
The chief officers of the battalion during its organization in the north and its training in Camp Borden and Toronto were Colonel A. Earchman, commanding officer, Major McKee, second in command; Major W.W. Ferguson, Major Lowe, Capt. Dierey? And Capt. ?piers, company commanders.
The battalion was in camp at Camp Borden from June until October when it was transferred to winter camp in Toronto, where two companies were stationed at Shaw Street School and two at Gibbons Street School. The offiers and headquarters were housed at Trinity College. Training continued at Toronto until February, when an order came from Ottawa changing the unit from infantry to railway troops.

Reorganized For Service

On February 17, 1917, the battalion left the Toronto camp for St. John, N.B., where they spent three days in barracks before being shipped on the Missanabie, which has since been destroyed, and landed in Purfleet? Camp on February 28. In this camp the battalion was re-equipped and re- organized for service in France. The headquarters staff of the re-organized unit were Colonel A. Earchman, commanding officer, Major W.W. Ferguson, second in command; Major A.B. Colville, adjutant; Capt. W. Maglaery, Q.M.; W.H. Roberts, chief engineer; Capt. Kip?, paymaster, and Major R.B. Smith, transport officer. The company officers were ? Major George McNamara, commanding officer, Capt. Frid?, second in command; Subalterns ? J. Bourke, Davis and S. ? platoon commanders; No. Major D.W. Fraser, commanding officer, Major H.D. McNamara, ? in command, subalterns ? Russell Young, C. Cowan ? Dale, platoon commanders, Capt. Spiers, commanding of[ficer]; Subaltern Naunders, second in [co]mand, subalterns M. Crosby, ? Scallwood and Thomas, pla[?] commanders; No. 4, Major Lewis, commanding officer, ? Piers, second in command, sup? Alterns W.J. Reed Lewis, No? treau, T. Willis and Thomas, co??on commanders.
? the battalion arrived in France ? days before Vimy Ridge Hall? in which the members took ? the maintenance of the broad ? lines between Boulognes and ?. Ten days later they were transferred to the fourth army area and took over the construction of all light railways in the Fourth Army area. This? Was continued until Nover 1917, when two companies were sent? to Belgium in the Passchendale fight and two companies remained in the Fourth Army area to ? after the first Cambrai. The ? companies Cambrai built six miles of railway and had traffic running into the Marconne in 24 hours. During the winter of 1917 and the spring of 1918 the battalion looked after the construction and maintenance of railways in the Fourth Army area. In the big retreat of March that year the battalion retired to Domleger and carried on the construction of broad gauge lines until July, 1918, when they were removed to the area in the rear of Amiens. Following the battle of Amiens the battalion looked after the construction of all light railways of the Fourth Army until Armistice, building in all 380 miles of line from August 1 until November 11.
After Armistice the battalion was left on maintenance until February when the men were removed to Etaples and there at ready for movement to England where they went into camp at Liverpool before breaking up.

Decorations ?

Outline of any fighting unit must be a mere shell w[hich] only those who participated can properly fill in the days of discomfort, of near death, of heroism, of sacrifice and death itself. It can be truthfully said that the officers and men of the 228th bore themselves in a manner befitting the sturdy north from whence they came. They returned home with 56 military crosses, 10 distinguished conduct medals and five meritorious medals among the decorations of the unit. Among those decorated were Colonel Earchman the commanding officer, who received the D.S.O., O.B.E., 1914 stars, Victory? Medal, general service, Canadian militia long service and officers long service decoratons; Major Fraser, second in command, who received the D.S.O., general service and victory medals; Major Ferguson, general service and victory medals; Major H. McNamara, general service and victory medals; Major Frid, general service and victory medals; Lieut. Jack Bourke, ? general service and victory medals; Lieut. Amos, M.C., general service and victory medals; Lieut. A. Smith, M.C.? general service and victory medals.
The colors of the battalion which were deposited overseas in the chapel at Pottors Har? where the first German Zeppelin was brought down in April 1917, were brought to Canada in April, 1919, and placed in North Bay. The members of the 228th battalion have spread to the four winds. Major H. McNamara and Major Geroge McNamara formed the McNamara Construction Company of Sault Ste. Marie; Capt. Frid is with the Frid Construction Comapany of Hamilton; Mr. Amos is with the C.N.R. at Winnipeg, and Mr. He? is now contracting for himself in the west. The former commanding officer is with the Northern Developmnet Branch at Toronto and in this capacity often meets with former 228th men, who are holding their old positions in the towns of the north.

“Life and Development of North Bay for 300 Years Passes in Grand Panorama,” The Nugget, August 4, 1925, p. 1.

[Transcribed with permission by F. Noël.]

Life and Development of North Bay for 300 Years Passes in Grand Panorama.

Wonderful Parade Which Led Way to Charter Presentation at Memorial Park Was Spectacular Reflection of North Bay From the Earliest Days.

Attractive to the highest degree, reminiscent to the point of reality, typically picturesque with touches of pathos and humor, here and there, psychologically arranged, and in all a blaze of color and glory the historical pageant and parade formed a memorable and colorful opening for the Old Home Week festivities and proclamation North Bay as a City.
In no other manner could the history of North Bay and incidently Northern Ontario, have been more forcibly impressed than by the elaborate panorama that wended its way through the city in holiday attire. The streets along which the procession proceeded were crowded with people. And as when great Pompey passed the streets of Rome the very housetops were alive in acclamation. Many of the various floats and historical pageants were enthusiastically applauded. Scenes in the parade and at the inauguration ceremony which followed were shot from a thousand angles by amateur and professional photographers.
As one beheld the replica, for instance, of Samuel de Champlain and his dauntless followers, bearing hard on their paddles, with their faces eagerly set forth in the direction of the new lands they were to explore, and as one ? the bands of Indians, the gallant courier (sic) du bois or then again, W. Brunett’s old bus with a number of commercial men, “the real pioneers,” driven by a team of horses with a uniformed driver on the seat, somehow or other a spirit of elation forced itself on one’s mind of the romantic struggle that had been a part of the city’s historic development.
And then again, with all the hilarity, there was a sense of reverence evident, reverence for the energy and indefatigable efforts which were displayed until now in place of the C.P.R.’s Lucy Dalton, with an ungainly [smoke] stack and an apologestic squeak of a whistle, there are furio[us?] monsters rushing from coast to coast; in the place of a priest riding in a cart with a wooden cross and a few followers afoot, there are now churches and cathedrals and prosperous appearing parishioners; instead of Indian huts and grotesque totem poles, there are fine homes and cities.

Order of Parade

The parade lined up shortly before ten o’clock, the time that it was scheduled to commence, on Main Street, with the business floats assembled in the Planing Mill yards. Leading were marshals and heralds on gaily decorated mounts. These were followed by the Boy Scouts Band on foot, led by Scoutmaster Anderson, with the Girl Guides, led by Mrs. Anderson, following. Many hundreds were gathered about the scene of the assemblage and a large number followed the pageant from the time that the signal to commence was given until it arrived at its destination at Memorial Park, where, with the exception of the float with the Queen of the Carnival, all temporarily disbansed, to make way for the memorable even of the day, the presenatation of North Bay’s Charter.
The route of the parade was down Main Street, along Fisher Street, to First Avenue and thence to Memorial Park, and the procession extended for the length of about six city blocks.
As has been intimated, the outstanding attraction of the parade were the fraternal floats. Eadh of them depicted interesting incidents of long ago, from the time of Old King Cole to the arrival of Champlain among the Indians.
The float arranged by the Lions Club gave an intimate and true conception of the home life of the Indians. There was an Indian teepee concealed in a background of small evergreens while the door of the teepee was guarded by a squaw with a circle of Indian braves, highly painted and in full regalia, squatted in a circle about her, with bows and arrows by their side, peace pipes flourished incessantly and a small camp fire smouldering inconcernedly. In a cage at the side was a small doe, while the Lions took advantage of the opportunity to proclaim their identity by having a small lion concealed in the tent, the roars of which may or may no have been magnified by some contrivance of human design.
The Knights of Columbus portrayed the early arrival of Champlain. He was the first of the party and was shown as gazing from the top of a hill over the surrounding country while his companions were landing the rest of the flotilla.
A large pointer, arranged by the Elks Club, recalled the drive among the hazardous Canadian waters. The boat was capably guided by real old timers whose tattered costumes and hardened faces foretold hardships of long ago. The voyageurs propelled the boat with three pairs of oars and an experienced boat man in the stern directed it down the stream.
The Commercial Travellers Club brought back a more recent picture in the developmnet of North Bay. An old fashioned bus driven by horses revealed the conveyances of the old pioneers. The driver was attired in a costume indicating the childhood days of the city.
The Masons float was a characterization of Old King Cole and his Merry Fiddlers. His servants attended and saw that his bowl was kept full. The King assumed a humorous attitude and his minstrels played the old time tunes. The celebrated pipe was very much in evidence and was quite in harmony with the bright costumes and the stately chair of the king.

Gorgeous Railway Floats

The railways, which have been one of the main factors in the establishment of North Bay as a city, were magnificently represented. One of the most appropriate floats in the whole procession was that of the T. & N.O. depicting the advancement of Northern Ontario. At the front there was a tableau of life on the farms, then a scene of mining men, engaged at work, and thirdly a scene displaying sport life of Northern Ontario, hunting, boating, fishing.
From an artistic standpoint the most elaborate float in the procession was thet (sic) of the C.N.R., a coach was elaborately bedecked with a profusion of flowers, while a design, “From coast to coast,” was also engraved in luxuriant masses of lilies.
The C.P.R. was represented by the Lucy Dalton, the first railway engine in Northern Ontario, drawing a miniature caboose with the conductor and the brakie in uniform on the steps. The engine was driven by a gasoline motor but nothing was lost to the realistic appearance as the engineer and firemen were in the cab, smoke issued forth and a whistle tooted incessantly.
There were countless floats arranged by business houses and stores in North Bay all of which were handsomely decorated, while of more than usual interest was the pageant of the Queen of the Carnival, who was imposingly stationed on a throne with ladies in waiting and pages grouped about.
Other historical pageants represented James Nicolet the first white man to set foot in North Bay, Father Claude Pijart, the first priest to the Nipissing Indians, a band of Courier Du Bois (sic) and fur traders, the Rev. Father Le Caron and a band of frenchmen.”
An added attraction was the music rendered by the Stratford Band, the North Bay Premier Band and the Clowns Band while the Englehart pipers were also in attendance.
The Forestry Branch, Rotary Club, Police and Fire Departments were also represented. The first auto in North Bay, the first post office and other scenes typical of the olden times were included.
Nothing was overlooked in the presentation of the humorous aspect to the spectable which was in evidence throughout. The old police dogs, the police patrol and a ravenous gang of fire eaters provided no end of merriment. The police dogs were a formidibble looking outfit and even the horse which was drawing the patrol had occasion to balk a couple of times while a youth with a fire extinguisher seated on the fire fighter’s cart had the time of his life in squirting drops of water at the spectators. No one could have enjoyed himself more than did that youth.
The clowns performed in usual style. One with a monstrous bow tie, and a pair of shoes as incredibly large, attracted considereable attention while among the merry markers were a number of dancers who executed everything from the “Hootchie kootchie” to the highland fling and before the end of the parade were calling for talent from the throng. A fiddler situated in a prominent position ground happy melogies such as the “Little Brown Jug” and “Casey Jones” while the dancers staged the “elemand left” stunt and other men dressed as ladies crossed their lily white hands and the genist? with their black and tan gave little doves a healthy swing.

Bright Spots in the Parade

“How dear to our hearts Are the scenes of our childhood
When loud? Recollections recall them to view:
The Old Oaken Bucket The moss covered bucket
The iron ? bucket That hangs in the well”

Even the officials of the committee on arrangements were astounded when the mass of floats gathered at the west end of Main street, between 9 and 10 a.M. It was a sight that will live long in the memory of everyone who lined the route of the parade. Only about 40 minutes were lost in the starting of the long line which was remarkable in view of the fact that the Marshals had to set every individual float in its proper place. At the outset, it appeared as if the noon hour would pass before the parade would be underway but in a remarkably short time, after the Parade committee got down to work a confused mass was untangled into an impressive spectacle.
From start to finish the Pageant moved over its prescribed route. A little delay occurred when the tail-end was stopped on the Main street. But it was all for the best as it enabled the crowds to witness the antics of the funny characters.
Among the characters in the Pageant section a lot failed to recognize T.J. Bourke representing Father Le Caron of 1615 vintage.
Every member of the Lions float, the Indian settlment were ? in spledid form. John [several words blurred] in Canada in [three lines blurred from damages to the original paper] ed the early missionary, was also good in costume.
Chas. St. Germain represented Champlain on the Knights of Columbus float. The design and characterizations on this was one of the best in the parade.
Lottie Britton and Alex Gillie, employees of the Canadian Pacific Railway in the early days, piloted Lucy Dalton, the replica of the first engine used in the service along the streets. Wm. Dreany and Harry Hughes looked out from the tail end of the caboose as they did when North Bay was only a water tank and a few surrounding shacks.
Bill Rankin was telling a whole lot when he caused his first mode of transportation to appear on the streets. Very few, however, thought it was so far back.
Harry Quirt was noticed perched up as a character in the T & N O float with his famed violin resting under his chin. Harry still dr[aws] a wicked bow ? caused old feet to ? as he ? notes.
[The remaining 30 lines or so are so damaged with the page under showing that it is impossible to make them out.]

“History, Art and Character Contributed to the Parade by the Three Railway Floats.” The Nugget, August 7, 1925.

[Transcribed by F. Noël, with permission.]


Some Inside Facts About Those Floats

The contributions which the three railways connected with North Bay made to the Grand Pageant and parade which was staged on Monday and was repeated on Wednesday morning were worthy reflections of the high place which the railwas have occupied in the development of North Bay. Visitors here during Old Home Week who have seen exhibits of a similar nature in various large centres of Canada and United States are responsible for the statement that nowhere yet have a string of floats been contrived with so much attention to historical, artistic and characteristic detail as those which represented the Canadian Pacific, Canadian National and Temiskaming and Northern Railways in the Old Home Week pageant.
Naturally the Canadian Pacific Railway’s contribution formed the most historical part of the long parade. It took the form of an exact replica of “Lucy Dalton,” the old wood burner that was named after the sister of Lady Lisgar, wife of the then Governor General of Canada, and which for several years in the early days of the C.P.R. development steamed regularly between Ottawa and Prescott. Afterwards, as No. 9, the Lucy Dalton was one of the first locomotives to ply between North Bay and Mattawa in early construction days. The original Lucy Dalton was built in 1872 in Tonton, Mass. and has long since been discraded as scrap. The Lucy Dalton which tooted and puffed its way down North Bay streets in the middle of the parade with wood tender and caboose attached, is an exact replica copied off an old photograph and designed and manufactured especially for Old Home Week’s pageant in the back shop of the C.P.R. locomotive works in North Bay.

Old Timers in Crew

Besides Lucy Dalton herself, particular interest attached to the crew who named (sic) [manned] the old-timer on Monday and Wednesday. On Monday in charge of the train was conductor Harry Huges, superintendent at Ottawa and a former trainman of many years experience at North Bay; William Dreany alderman and veteran yardmaster of North Bay, as brakeman, while the engine crew consisted of no less than Alex Gillies of Chapleau, one of the oldest enginemen on the orad, and Lottie Britten, who actually fired the Lucy Dalton herself in the days when the fuel for a trip between North Bay and Mattawa consisted sometimes of two cords and sometimes not quite two cords of wood.
The interesting contrast between the Lucy Dalton, representing the first locomotive to steam out of North Bay and the present monsters of the road was given to history on Thursday morning when the replica which appeared in the parade was drawn up beside No. 5323 th, the latest type of freight engine plying overland on the C.P.R. and a photograph is being sent to Mr. H. J. Humphrey, general superintendent of the North Bay-Algoma Division, who is confined to the General Hospital, Toronto, through illness.

A Floral Beauty

Artistically, the contribution of the Canadian National Railways to the parade was a magnificient creation. Led on Monday by the C.N.R. Stratford shop band of 25 pieces which was sent to North Bay for the day free of charge, the display consisted of a luxurious flower-bedecked float drawn by four magnificent greys, the identitical teams that were awarded first prize at last year’s Canadian National Exhibition. The float itself consisted of a truck and framework, manufactured specially in the C.N.R. shops of Toronto and covered with veritable masses of flowers over a background of cedar and fern. Side panels proclaimed in lettering of Japanese rope on a background of cedar, “C.N.R.— Coast to Coast.”
The float was designed in Toronto by Mr. William Hoath, florist in collaboration with Mr. S.G. Skinner, landscape gardener for the Canadian National Railways. With the horses it was shipped to North Bay on Sunday night and a fresh shipment of flowers was received for its redecoration for Wednesday’s parade. There were approximately 10,000 flowers used in the preparation of both floats, including over 600 Easter lilies, some 5,000 gladioli, 2,500 asters, 800 larspur, 400 delphinium all mingling with over 4,000 spreys of cedar. Baby’s Breath was used in large quantities to emphasize the coloring and added effectively the delicate appearance of the display. The total weight of flowers in both floats is said to have been approximately 1,300 pounds. No pains were spared in making the float as attractive as floral and artistic temperament could affect and the result proved to be one of the finest spectacles ever seen on North Bay streets.

Characteristic of North.

Realism was the keynote of the truly northern float of the T. & N.O. Railway which appeared in Monday and Wednesday’s parades. It portrayed the growth of the North through its three main industries. The T. & N. O., accompanied by the officers of law and order, opened Northern Ontario first as a farming district for the T. & N. O. was originally a colononization railway. Then when mining wealth was found the railway provided means of bringing into the mining district working material and men and carrying out to the market the silver and gold. Now the district along the railway is being sought as a sportsmen’s paradise of beautiful scenery and fine fishing and hunting.
The first section of the float depicted farming life and the violin which was played by Harry Quirt of Nipissing Junction is claimed to be the first violin to bring music to North Bay. Mr. Quirt came to North Bay in 1881 and pitched his camp under three balsam trees on the present site of the C.P.R. roundhouse.
The second section of the float depicted mining with the canvas of the float painted to represent the interior of a mining shat with its veining of precious metal. The drill used on the float was imported from a Cobalt mine for the occasion.
The third section of the float pictured a sportmen’s camp with great realism. The Indian guide was not other than Frank Commando, chief of the Nipissing tribe, while the fish were brought fresh from the water of Lake Temagami.
The float originated in the mind of A. B. Odlum, of the T. & N. O. staff, while Russel Huntington took charge of the designing. The float was built and painted in the shops of the T. & N. O. and was carried from the idea to the finished product in two weeks’ time.

“Gathering at Banquet Table Closes French-Canadian Day,” The Nugget, August 9, 1935.

[Transcribed by F. Noël with permission.]

Gathering at Banquet Table Closes French-Canadian Day

Function in St. Vincent de Paul Hall Attended By 500 Persons


As a glowing finale to French-Canadian day of North Bay’s Old Home Week, more than 500 persons gathered in St. Vincent de Paul’s parish hall Wednesday evening for a banquet under the auspices of La Federation des Femmes Canadiennes Francaises.
Dr. J.E.I. Joyal presided during the occasion and announcement was made of the winners of the parade held in the afternoon. North Bay’s entry depicting the arrival of Jacques Cartier was adjudged of highest standing, receiving about double the number of points of the remainder but owing to the fact that the North Bay parish was acting host for the event, it was eliminated from the prize list.
The Jacques Cartier representation was planned and arranged by Isaac Bedard and was highly complimented. Warren with another Jacques Cartier float received the first prize, Verner represented by Evangeline, second, and Sudbury with a setting of the slaying of Candian Martyrs, third. The awards were in cash.
Judges were Dr. F. Malo, Warren; Dr. J.V. Menard, Verner; J.A.S. Plouffe, Sudbury; Achille Michaud, Sturgeon Falls; Police Chief W. Clark and D.L. Regimbal, North Bay.
Grace before the meal was said by Very Rev. Dean J.A. Chapleau. The orchestra which was in attendance was in charge of Alphie Parisen, with Antoine Levesque, B.A., at the piano.

Toast List

The toast to the pope was offered by Rev. L. Mailhot, S.J., Sudbury; and responded to by Rev. O. Racette, Verner.
In proposing the toast to the King, Dr. J.R. Hurtubise, M.P., Sudbury stated that the people of Canada were quite contented with the governing of past and present Royalty and felt at home under Empire governing. J.A.S. Plouffe, Sudbury, responded graciously, remarking how Roman Catholics the world over at the command of the Holy See prayed for the health of the King, “because we love him and are proud of him.”
Rev. L. Seguin, Hanmer, first parish priest of St. Vincent de Paul congregation, proposed the toast to the parish recalling that besides being first parish priest, he helped lay the first stone, put in the last nail, said the first mass in the Church and “the following day took a second class ticket to the smallest parish of the diocese.” J. Harry Marceau, M.L.A. responded.
Le Cercle Canadian Francais was feted in a toast proposed by Emile Bedard and responded to by P.H. Bonhomme. The toast to the old parishioners was offered by Wilfried Aubry and responded to by L. Gauthier, Sudbury.
Elie Cholette offered the toast to the visitors to which Albert Michaud, Sturgeon Falls, responded.

In proposing the toast to the ladies E.A. Lapierre, Sudbury, cited their great work in the development of the north country and the vigor with which they aided their menfolk. He said that this trait was also remarkable during the time of depression. D. Moreau responded.

Very Rev. Dean J.A. Chapleau addressed the gathering expressing his appreciation of the co-operation received in the planning and carrying out of the day. In speaking to those present Mayor W.G. Bullbrook voiced his thanks for the part of the French-Canadian citizens in undertaking an Old Home Week day, which proved very successful.

Gratitude was expressed by Emile Regimbal, president of Le Cercle Canadien- Francais for the success of the day, with particular mention being made to Dean Chapleau, the speakers, members of the clergy, Father Mailhot for the presence of the Sacred Heart College band, the visitors, the judges, the mayor, the president of the school board, M.J. McGuinty, who was present, and to members of the committee and La Federation des F.C.F.